Before distance learning, it was hard to keep students on task while they were using technology. Now that we have added distance learning to the mix, students have an even greater opportunity to get distracted and stray off task.
Solutions for keeping students on track need to be found because learning needs to happen no matter what the situation is. When teachers can use a web filter, they have a better ability to keep their students on the websites they want them on during class time and thus keep their students focused.
There are two different kinds of web filters available. They are an allowlist and a blocklist.
What is an Allowlist?
An allowlist lets teachers select only the sites that they want their students to be on. Teachers can easily create their allowlist by uploading a list of websites they want their students on to their classroom management software system.
One of the biggest benefits of the allowlist is that it saves teachers time. If teachers want their students on only a few selected sites, they don’t have to waste their time blocking all of the other websites available on the internet. It is a lot quicker to create a list of a few allowed websites versus a long list of blocked websites.
What is a Blocklist?
A blocklist in classroom management software lets teachers block the websites they do not want their students to access. Just like the allowlist, teachers can upload their blocklist to the classroom management software system they use.
For teachers who want their students to have wider access to the internet, a blocklist is a good choice for them. It allows them to choose a few or more sites that they don’t want their students on and restrict their students access to those sites.
Why Use a Web Filter During Distance Learning?
Web filters make your life easier. They allow you to keep your students on the websites you want them on during class time. It will save you from having to redirect your students back to the lesson as much.
A web filter is not the only feature that Vision includes. Vision is a classroom management software system that allows you to manage and monitor your students’ devices in real-time. Vision’s features include:
- View Student Screens – See everything your students see on their computers. At a glance, see who is on task and who needs assistance.
- Share Teacher’s Screens – Facilitate learning by sharing your screen on every student device. No need for projectors and handouts – give everyone a front-row view.
- Showcase Student – Students can display their screens directly on the other student computers, practicing their presentation skills, and enhancing collaboration.
- Blank Screens – Refocus student attention with the push of a button, locking screens, and keyboards.
- Web Filter – You decide which websites are available or off-limits.
Want more information about distance learning? Check out Quick Tip: Making Group Work Doable During Distance Learning and Tips for Lending Extra Support to Your Students During Distance Learning.